Good Things To Do: Expert Suggestions for Fostering Goodness in Kids
We asked several of the foremost names in child development and education to offer their practical wisdom for helping young people grow in goodness, compassion, understanding, development of the spirit, and more. What they offered are treasures, both readable and of tremendous importance. Each expert’s suggestions are presented in short, almost bullet-point format, easy to read and written specifically for educators and parents in independent schools, but relevant to parents and educators everywhere for character education.
Partial list of contributors:
President, National Association of Independent Schools
Marvin Berkowitz, Ph.D.
Director, McDonnell Leadership Academy in Character
Elizabeth Dabney Hochman
Editor-in-Chief, KidSpirit Magazine
Matthew Davidson, Ph.D.
President and Director, Center for Excellence & Ethics
Nancy Eisenberg, Ph.D.
Editor, Social, Emotional, and Personality Development,
vol. 3 of Handbook of Child Psychology
Thomas Lickona, Ph.D.
Director, Center for the 4th and 5th Rs (Respect and Responsibility)
Eboo Patel, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Interfaith Youth Core
Judith Smetana, Ph.D.
Educator and editor, Handbook of Moral Development
Hal Urban, Ph.D.
Author, Life’s Greatest Lessons: 20 Things that Matter
Marilyn Watson, Ph.D.
Past Director, National Teacher Education Project,
Developmental Studies Center
- Type: Book/Review
- Published by CSEE
- Printed in 2009
- Non-Member Price: $12.00
- Member Price: $7.00
- Elementary/Lower School
- High/Upper School
- Junior High/Middle School
- Moral Development and Character Education
- School Culture
- Student Leadership
- Teaching Ethics
More Items from David Streight
- Academic Achievement and Moral Education/Character Education
- Advisory Systems at Their Best
- Are We Really Educating the Spirit?
- Autonomy, Structure, and Art in Parenting
- Breaking Into the Heart of Character
- Character Education Starting at Zero
- Connections Newsletter
- Developing Ethical Student Leaders
- Diminishing Bullying, Building Character
- Educating for Character
- From the Executive Director: Four Places Where Schools Fall Short
- From the Executive Director: Interfaith Dialogue Resources
- From the Executive Director: Advisory
- From the Executive Director: Empathy, Misbehavior, and Developing a Conscience
- From the Executive Director: On Basketball and the Moral Growth of a School
- From the Executive Director: Research Shows Little Tolerance for Zero Tolerance
- From the Executive Director: Three Things Schools Can Do to Decrease Spiritual Voids
- High School Ethics: Between Quarter Potential and Half
- Kids into Ethical Leaders: A Nine-Point Paradigm
- Leadership Characteristics for School Leaders
- Link Environmental Work and School Mission
- Marketing to Tweens, Nudging for Purpose
- Parenting for Character: Five Experts, Five Practices
- School Glue (Podcast)
- Schools of the Future: Work We All Can Do
- Self Compassion rather than Self Esteem: A Better Way for Kids
- Shedding Confusion, Focusing Power in Community Service
- Student Leadership Development: Making it Possible
- What Makes A School Stand Out for the Quality of Its Character?