Parenting for Character: Five Experts, Five Practices
Four decades of research point to five practices that, when implemented by parents, lead to the development of children who are altruistic and empathic, and who have strong consciences and moral reasoning skills. In this booklet, five of North America’s leading child development researchers and character education trainers explain these practices. This booklet was written with an independent school parent audience specifically in mind.
Diana Baumrind, Professor of Child Development, Head of Family Socialization Project, University of California, Berkeley.
Marvin W. Berkowitz, Sanford N. McDonnell Professor of Character Education and Director of the McDonnel Leadership Academy in Character Education, University of Missouri-St. Louis.
Thomas Lickona, Professor of Education and Director of the Center for the 4th and 5th Rs (Respect and Responsibility), University of New York, Cortland.
Larry P. Nucci, Graduate School of Education, University of California, Berkeley; Professor Emeritus of Educational Psychology and Director of the Center for Studies of Moral Development and Education, University of Illinois, Chicago.
Marilyn Watson, Past Head of the National Teacher Education Project and Program Director, Child Development Project. Author of CSEE's Discipline for Moral Growth (2007).
If ordered online, this text has a minimum shipping fee of $4.50, or 10% of the order total. If you are interested in obtaining CSEE's free shipping special for Parenting for Character, please place your order via telephone at 800.298.4599.
- Type: Book/Review
- Published by CSEE
- Printed in 2008
- Non-Member: $6.00
- Member: $3.00
- Elementary/Lower School
- High/Upper School
- Junior High/Middle School
- Moral Development and Character Education
- School Culture
More Items from David Streight
- Academic Achievement and Moral Education/Character Education
- Advisory Systems at Their Best
- Are We Really Educating the Spirit?
- Autonomy, Structure, and Art in Parenting
- Breaking Into the Heart of Character
- Character Education Starting at Zero
- Connections Newsletter
- Developing Ethical Student Leaders
- Diminishing Bullying, Building Character
- Educating for Character
- From the Executive Director: Four Places Where Schools Fall Short
- From the Executive Director: Interfaith Dialogue Resources
- From the Executive Director: Advisory
- From the Executive Director: Empathy, Misbehavior, and Developing a Conscience
- From the Executive Director: On Basketball and the Moral Growth of a School
- From the Executive Director: Research Shows Little Tolerance for Zero Tolerance
- From the Executive Director: Three Things Schools Can Do to Decrease Spiritual Voids
- Good Things To Do: Expert Suggestions for Fostering Goodness in Kids
- High School Ethics: Between Quarter Potential and Half
- Kids into Ethical Leaders: A Nine-Point Paradigm
- Leadership Characteristics for School Leaders
- Link Environmental Work and School Mission
- Marketing to Tweens, Nudging for Purpose
- School Glue (Podcast)
- Schools of the Future: Work We All Can Do
- Self Compassion rather than Self Esteem: A Better Way for Kids
- Shedding Confusion, Focusing Power in Community Service
- Student Leadership Development: Making it Possible
- What Makes A School Stand Out for the Quality of Its Character?