About this Event
This event leads honor council teams from around North America through building, implementing and evaluating a quality honor program. Schools hear presentations, share best-practices in honor / integrity education, and troubleshoot problem areas (all topics are welcome, from how to get buy-in from faculty and students, to working with international students). Schools with councils share how they address honor infractions–from initial report to disciplinary action and/or restorative justice. Ample time is given for guided large and small group discussion, which is an excellent opportunity to discuss similar honor system issues with peers and share ideas.
This workshop is designed to serve the needs of both schools in the process of instituting an honor system for the first time, and those whose honor systems need fine-tuning or reinvigoration. We request that participants fill out a brief questionnaire before the event, to ensure that the event is crafted to fit your needs.
Questions under consideration include:
- How can schools teach integrity and ethics, and get “buy in” for their honor code (from students and faculty)?
- What kinds of honor systems do schools have, and what works well?
- What are the nuts and bolts of handling an honor case?
- How can existing honor systems be revitalized, or
- How does a school begin to implement a new program?
Schools are encouraged to send teams when possible (e.g., three students and one or two faculty members), though individual faculty are welcome. Most meals are included in the price of registration (dinner Friday, breakfast and lunch Saturday, and breakfast Sunday). Saturday evening is free for participants to explore host city.
The Next Event
Join us in February 2017. More information coming soon!
“My kids loved it! They are energized and enthusiastic and ready to get to work!”
“Our H.C. got a much needed boost of momentum; we are heading back with renewed energy and lots of ideas for improvement!”
“As someone who is trying to start an honor council, learning about all different types of codes and councils was invaluable.”
- February 5-7, 2016 - Tower Hill School, Wilmington, DE. Presenters were John Roberts, Ellen Nelson and Hutch Bibby.
- February 6-8, 2015 - Campbell Hall School, Los Angeles. Presenters were John Roberts, Ellen Nelson and Hutch Bibby.
- January 31-February 2, 2014 - Providence Day School, Charlotte, NC. Presenter: John Roberts, with guests from Davidson College, Providence Day School Panel.
- February 8-10, 2013 - The Hockaday School, Dallas, TX. Presenter: John Roberts, with panel from Campbell Hall, Harker School, St. Andrew's School (Austin).