Honor Codes, Honor Councils
The best results in character education/moral development programs occur in schools that give students meaningful ways to participate; this is especially true when the roles students play offer opportunities to practice skills necessary for an ethically functioning democratic society. Schools across the United States and Canada approach this issue in part through honor codes and honor councils where students can, and do, play essential roles.
An Honor Code consultation encompasses both larger philosophical questions and oft-neglected details. Discrete steps are considered for moving toward a new, or reinvigorated, honor system. Guidance is provided on handling cases of infraction, from initial report to final dispensation. There are often a number of options that can be considered before determining what might work best in a particular school.
- How can schools teach integrity and form character, in addition to academic, athletic, and other important skills?
- How can honor codes assist schools in fulfilling their missions?
- How can our present honor code be revitalized?
- Is it time for us to create a new honor code?
- What kinds of honor systems do schools have?