Community Service / Service Learning
A Community Service/Service Learning consultation offers schools an opportunity to reflect on the value and educational aim of service programs, to take an in-depth look at the benefits of fostering community awareness, and to learn how to involve the community as students juggle demands for academic excellence, ethical living, and social responsibility.
- How can we get students excited about service?
- How do we evaluate success, failure, and areas that need attention?
- How do we avoid reinforcing stereotypes through our service projects?
- Should we move from community service to academic service-learning?
- How do we sidestep the constraints of “charity” and move toward social justice?
- Where do we find the space and time for a quality program?
- How can we help students grow in leadership and character from their service experiences?
- Should we require service, or make it voluntary?
- How can we build student leaders for our service program?
- How can service experiences be fine-tuned to help students grow in leadership and character?